Doctoral Minor in Translational Cancer Biology
Minor Program Administrator: Dr. Lawrence Quilliam
Minor Advisor: Varies by student
The translational cancer biology minor is to provide breadth and depth of cancer knowledge to graduate students. This minor consists of courses outside of the major department. This interdisciplinary minor is offered through IU Simon Comprehensive Cancer Center.
Plan of Study (12 credit hours total)
Required Core Courses in Translational Cancer Biology
Complete two out of three of the courses below
- GRDM-G852: Concepts of Cancer Biology: Signaling Gone Awry (2 cr.)
- CANB-C850: Integrated Training in Cancer Symptom Science (2 cr)
- CANB-C851: Cancer Genomics, Metabolomics and Targeted Therapy (2 cr)
Required Elective Courses
The remainder of the courses will be selected from the following:
- GRDM-G700: Translating Foundational Science to Contemporary Knowledge (1 cr.)
- GRDM-G715: Biomedical Science I–Biochemical Basis of Biological Processes (2 cr.)
- GRDM-G716: Biomedical Science II–Molecular Biology and Genetics (2 cr.)
- GRDM-G717: Biomedical Science III–Cellular Basis of Systems Biology (2 cr.)
- GRDM-G720 Stem Cell Biology (2 cr.)
- GRDM-G724 - Molecular Cancer Genetics (1 cr.)
- GRDM-G737/ANAT-D851: Introduction to Histology/Histology (1-4 cr.)
- GRDM-G748: Principles of Toxicology 1 (1 cr.)
- GRDM-G749: Introduction to Structural Biology (1 cr.)
- GRDM-G807: Structural and Chemical Biology (2 cr.)
- GRDM-G817: Molecular Basis of Cell Structure and Function (2 cr.)
- GRDM-G848: Bioinformatics, Genomics, Proteomics, and Systems Biology (2 cr.)
- GRDM-G727: Animal Models of Human Disease; Medical and Molecular Genetics (1 cr.)
- MGEN-Q620: Human Cytogenetics (3 cr.)
- MICR-J807: Current Topics in Immunology (2 cr.)
- MICR-J829: Current Topics in Molecular Genetics of Microorganisms (2 cr.)
Minor Program Notes
The minor program will be approved by the student’s advisory committee which will take into consideration the student’s total didactic experience. The advisory committee may approve additional and/or substitution of appropriate courses to complete the degree requirements. The minor representative on this committee will be selected from outside the student’s major program.
NOTE: Courses cannot count towards both the PhD major and PhD minor. Work with your major and minor advisors to find appropriate substitutes if courses overlap between the major and the minor
To be admitted to the PhD minor in Translational Cancer Biology, you must be a currently enrolled doctoral student in good academic standing in any IU or IUPUI school.
A minimum of B (3.0) is required in each course that is to count toward the minor. If a minimum of B (3.0) is not earned in a course, that course must be retaken. A course may be retaken only once. Students who fail to achieve the minimum grade of B (3.0) the second time they take a course, will not be able to earn this PhD minor.
This Ph.D minor does not require a qualifying exam.