Kun Huang, PhD
Phone: (614) 596-2471
1101 W. 10th Street
Regenstrief Institute, Rm 335
Indianapolis, IN 46202
- Chair, Department of Biostatistics & Health Data Science, Department of Biostatistics and Health Data, IU School of Medicine
- Precision Health Initiative Professor of Genomics Data Sciences
- Professor of Biostatistics & Health Data Science, Department of Biostatistics and Health Data, IU School of Medicine
- Professor of Medicine, Department of Medicine, Division of Hematology/Oncology, IU School of Medicine
- Adjunct Professor of Epidemiology, Department of Epidemiology, IU Fairbanks School of Public Health
- Adjunct Professor, School of Computer Science
- Associate Director of Data Science, IU Simon Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Full member
, Experimental and Developmental Therapeutics
Headlines & highlights
- Meet Kun Huang, leader of the Department of Biostatistics and Health Data Science (Oct. 2021)
- IU School of Medicine names new chair to lead Department of Biostatistics and Health Data Science (Sept. 2021)
- IU School of Medicine researchers develop computer program to predict whether patients could be at high risk for Alzheimer’s and cancer (June 2021)
- Researchers develop publication with collaborator quarantined in China during COVID-19 outbreak (Apr. 2020)
Kun Huang, Ph.D., an internationally recognized leader in bioinformatics and computational pathology, is associate director of data science at the IU Simon Comprehensive Cancer Center.
In this role, he provides the vision, strategy, and oversight for integration of data science initiatives within the cancer center.
His research interests lie in translational bioinformatics, computational pathology, medical imaging, computational biology, health data science, and machine learning. He is focused on developing translating informatics tools to improve clinical practice and accelerate scientific discovery.
As an associate director, he serves on the cancer center’s executive committee. He is also a member of the cancer center’s Experimental and Developmental Therapeutics research program.
Huang is the Precision Health Initiative Chair Professor of Genomics Data Sciences. He is also professor and chair of the Department of Biostatistics and Health Data Science at IU School of Medicine and Fairbanks School of Public Health, and he is a research scientist at the Regenstrief Institute.
He also is an elected Fellow of the American Institute of Biological and Medical Engineering and a Senior Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. He has served as a section editor of BMC Medical Genomics and is a member of the NIH BDMA study section.
Before arriving at IU in 2017, Huang held faculty and leadership positions at the Ohio State University.
He earned a doctorate in electrical and computer engineering and three master’s degrees from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. He earned two bachelor’s degrees in biology and computer science from Tsinghua University in Beijing.