IUSCC Support for High-Quality Grant Applications Missing NCI Payline
Purpose: To provide funding to support IUSCC PI-directed applications to the National Cancer Institute with high potential for obtaining external funding that have been reviewed once or twice and missed the NCI payline. The goal is to increase the NCI funding base in the IUSCC.
- Be a member of the IUSCC; if a junior investigator, must be past the start-up period
- Have a NCI R01 or R21 application that scored equal to or below a 40% on a NCI R01 or R21 application and are re-submitting the proposal (new 40% cutoff effective for grants submitted after June 1, 2014)
- Have submitted his/her original NCI grant in 2013 or later to be considered
- Submit request for IUSCC funding only one time per grant
Note: Only NIH R01 and R21 applications will be considered. Only grants submitted to NCI. No exceptions.
Also, investigators/teams who have submitted large NCI directed grants such as PPGs, U01s and SPOREs (NCI only) are eligible to request funding to address reviewers’ comments. The review process is the same as for the other grants.
Applications for funding must include
- A cover letter describing the rationale for the request and the planned timeline for resubmission of the grant application.
- A one-page proposal for use of the funding to include a timeline and/or map (via ITRAC mechanism) for accomplishing the proposed work and identified benchmarks necessary for high likelihood for achieving a fundable score upon new submission
- A proposed budget and justification for the funding. (Maximum allowable amount for RO1 grants is $50K and R21 is $30K).
- Specific Aims page of the originally submitted grant application
- The reviewer critiques of the application with score and percentile.
- The proposed responses to those critiques and plans on how the application will be converted to a new application for submission.
- Review of application and funding will be performed by a committee composed of the IUSCC Program Leaders and a final review for determination of funding will be performed by the IUSCC Executive Committee.
- Applications must be either NCI R01 or R21 exclusively. No exceptions.
- Submission can be at any time. Expedited review for early resubmission or off-cycle reviews can be requested.
- The review committee will consider the overall probability of future funding for the project as reflected in the priority score, reviewer critiques, response of the PI to those critiques, and how the application will be modified for submission as a new application.
- Additionally, evaluation will include demonstrated ongoing efforts of the PI in obtaining funding for the project (e.g. list of grant applications submitted within the past year), and the level of involvement of the PI in the IUSCC. Each application will be considered on its own merit.
After an award is made, the project must be mapped (contact Crystal Munson at firstname.lastname@example.org) and an interim progress report will be required to determine if the funds are being used as originally proposed, milestones are being achieved and the timeline is on target.
Contact Crystal Munson at email@example.com for submission support (mapping/timeline) or Mark R. Kelley at firstname.lastname@example.org for inquiries.