IUSCC Support for High-Quality Grant Applications Missing NCI Payline
Purpose: To provide funding to support IUSCC PI-directed applications to the National Cancer Institute with high potential for obtaining external funding that have been reviewed once and missed the NCI pay line. The goal is to increase the NCI funding base in the IUSCC.
- Be a member of the IUSCC; if a junior investigator, must be past the start-up period.
- Have a NCI R01 application that scored equal to or below a 40 percent on a NCI R01 application and are re-submitting the proposal.
- Submit request for IUSCC funding only one time per grant.
- If an application has been submitted and meets the above requirements, but will be resubmitted for a new funding mechanism, they will not be eligible for this RFA. Example: If submission was for a U01, scored 40 percent or below, but will be resubmitted NOT as a U01, it is ineligible.
- If no percentile is available and only the overall impact score, the score must be 40 or below.
Only grants submitted to NCI. No exceptions.
NOTE: Investigators/teams who have submitted large NCI directed grants such as PPGs, U01s and SPOREs (NCI only) are eligible to request funding to address reviewers’ comments only if the grant is being resubmitted for the same funding mechanism review (U01 for U01, PPG for PPG, etc). The review process is the same as for the other grants.
Applications for funding must include:
- A cover letter describing the rationale for the request and the planned timeline for resubmission of the grant application.
- A one-page proposal for use of the funding to include a timeline and/or map (via ITRAC mechanism) for accomplishing the proposed work and identified benchmarks necessary for high likelihood for achieving a fundable score upon new submission
- A proposed budget and justification for the funding. (Maximum allowable amount for R01 grants is $50K).
- Specific Aims page of the originally submitted grant application
- The reviewer critiques of the application with score and percentile.
- The proposed responses to those critiques and plans on how the application will be improved for resubmission.
- Review of application and funding will be performed by a committee composed of the IUSCC program leaders and a final review for determination of funding will be performed by the IUSCC executive committee.
- Applications must be either NCI R01 or a large NCI directed grant exclusively. No exceptions.
- Submission can be at any time.
- The review committee will consider the overall probability of future funding for the project as reflected in the priority score, reviewer critiques, response of the PI to those critiques, and how the application will be modified for resubmission.
- Additionally, evaluation will include demonstrated ongoing efforts of the PI in obtaining funding for the project (e.g. list of grant applications submitted within the past year), and the level of involvement of the PI in the IUSCC. Each application will be considered on its own merit.
After an award is made an interim progress report will be required to determine if the funds are being used as originally proposed, milestones are being achieved and the timeline is on target.
A complete application in PDF format should be sent by e-mail to Elizabeth Parsons, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact Crystal Munson at email@example.com for submission support (mapping/timeline) or Mark R. Kelley at firstname.lastname@example.org for inquiries.