"America's Top Doctors for Cancer" recognizes 18 IU Simon Cancer Center physicians
INDIANAPOLIS -- (Nov. 19, 2007) -- Eighteen physicians with the Indiana University Melvin and Bren Simon Cancer Center have been recognized as the best in their field.
The 18 are among 21 in Indiana included in the most recent edition of America’s Top Doctors for Cancer. The new guide identifies the nation's most outstanding physicians for the diagnosis and treatment of cancers in adults and children.
"The IU Simon Cancer Center strives to excel in patient care and treatment with dedicated physicians who are recognized nationally for their expertise,” IU School of Medicine Dean D. Craig Brater, M.D., said. “This expertise reflects both our culture and our environment — a culture of always trying to generate new knowledge and apply that to patient care and an environment of collaboration and team work among all health professionals at our partner hospitals — Wishard Health Services, the Roudebush VA Medical Center and Clarian Health – and our colleagues at other campuses such as IU Bloomington, Purdue and Notre Dame. It is said that hard work is its own reward, but acknowledgment of a job well done by ‘America’s Top Doctors’ is always appreciated."
America’s Top Doctors for Cancer include:
- Dennis Blom (surgery)
- John Coleman III, MD (plastic surgery)
- Lawrence Einhorn, MD (medical oncology)
- Robert Fallon, MD (pediatric hematology-oncology)
- Richard Foster, MD (urology
- Robert Goulet Jr., MD (surgery)
- Jay Grosfeld, MD (pediatric surgery)
- Valerie Jackson, MD (diagnostic radiation)
- Keith Lillemoe, MD (surgery)
- Patrick Loehrer, Sr. MD (medical oncology)
- Katherine Look, MD (gynecologic oncology)
- Scott Shapiro, MD (neurological surgery)
- George Sledge Jr., MD (medical oncology)
- Frederick Stehman, MD (gynecologic oncology)
- Allan Thornton Jr., MD (radiation oncology) Thornton is with the Midwest Proton Radiotherapy Institute in Bloomington, which is affiliated with the IU Simon Cancer Center.
- Thomas Ulbright, MD (pathology)
- Terry Vik, MD (pediatric hematology-oncology)
- Stephen Williams, MD (medical oncology)
Published by Castle Connolly, the guide contains detailed profiles of more than 2,200 of America’s leading cancer specialists across more than 40 medical specialties. The doctors are selected by a physician-led research team based on comprehensive national surveys of physicians and medical leaders.
The guide also offers tips for selecting a doctor for cancer, or any specialty. Consider the following:
- Medical education
- Residency and fellowships
- Board certification
- Hospital appointment
- Academic and other professional titles
- Insurance accepted