Cancer Research Day
The IU Simon Cancer Center’s annual Cancer Research Day is Thursday, May 12.
Students, fellows, and faculty conducting cancer research at IUPUI, Indiana University-Bloomington, Purdue University, and the Harper Cancer Research Institute, a collaboration between the IU School of Medicine and the University of Notre Dame, will present their current cancer research at Cancer Research Day.
Cash awards for best posters by graduate students, post-doctoral/medical fellows, research technicians, and clinical nurses in all three research categories will be selected by a review board.
IU Simon Cancer Center Cancer Research Day is an annual event that aims to increase understanding and awareness of IU Simon Cancer Center research endeavors and encourage collaboration with other cancer research institutions in Indiana.
WHAT: IU Simon Cancer Center Cancer Research Day
WHEN: Thursday, May 12
WHERE: IUPUI Campus Center, 420 University Blvd.
8-10 a.m., Symposium, Theatre room/Theatre level
- 8-8:25 a.m.: Andrea Bonetto, Ph.D., “Understanding the Pathogenesis of Chemotherapy-associated Cachexia”
- 8:25-8:50 a.m.: Heather O’Hagan, Ph.D., “Connecting Oxidative Damage to Epigenetic Alterations During Inflammation-Driven Tumorigenesis”
- 8:50-9:15 a.m.: Jesse Gore, Ph.D., “Novel TGF-beta Actions in Pancreatic Cancer and its Microenvironment”
- 9:15-9:40 a.m.: Uma Sankar, Ph.D., “A Dual-Hit Approach Against Prostate Cancer”
- 9:40-10:05 a.m.: Shannon Hawkins, M.D., Ph.D., “The Role of ARID1A in Endometriosis-Associated Ovarian Cancer”
10:30 a.m. - 12:55 p.m., Poster/Abstract Presentations, CE 450A, B, C
poster judging, 10:30 a.m.-noon (presenters need to be present during this time)
1-2 p.m., Keynote Address, Theater level (lower lever)
Cory Abate-Shen, Ph.D., presents “Of Mice and Men: Using Systems Biology Approaches to Study Human Cancer.” Dr. Abate-Shen is associate director of the Herbert Irving Comprehensive Cancer Center and Michael and Stella Chernow Professor of Urological Oncology at Columbia University Medical Center.
2-3 p.m., Awards Presentation, Theater level (lower level)